Internet speed-obsessed CEO, developer, sci-fi geek, and dad
I’m Alex Gizis, CEO of Connectify, a Philly-based tech company that specializes in developing easy-to-use and powerful networking apps for all your devices.
I host a weekly livestreamed talk show called Speedify LIVE
Over the last few years, I’ve been obsessed with the idea that users should have access to fast Internet across all their devices no matter where they are. Starting with our first and most popular product, Connectify Hotspot, I wanted to build a fully-functional software router so I didn’t have to carry around yet another piece of hardware. And, I wasn’t alone! Connectify Hotspot has been downloaded over 100 million times and has users all over the world.
Next came Speedify, where we’re solving the problem of slow Internet on smartphones, tablets, and laptops with our revolutionary channel bonding VPN. Speedify lets you use all of your available Internet connections at once, for blazing fast speeds and increased security and reliability. Fast Internet is truly a game-changer, and far too many Internet providers are actually trying to slow you down. That’s why I write about issues surrounding Internet speed, net neutrality, insights on building a consumer startup, and other stuff on our company blog, Medium, and elsewhere.
As we were testing Speedify for performance, we needed a tool for iOS to see real time network stats and how they perform in real world conditions - that's when we came up with Pingify. Initially an internal mobile diagnostics tool, it's now been released to the community so everybody can check latency and reliability over WiFi, LTE and VPN interfaces on the iPhone.
Blog Posts & Other Musings
- Speedify 7 is here - updated UI, Siri Shortcuts integration and other goodies
- Want to understand what is going on with your network? Try Pingify for iPhone!
- We’re at Wi-Fi NOW 2016 Conference!
- The Only Way to Share Wi-Fi on Surface & Windows 10
- 4 Things I Learned at Engadget Live
- The 4 Biggest Hurdles for SpaceX Satellite Internet Plan
- Fast trains, Faster Internet: Speedify boosts your Amtrak WiFi
- Marriott’s Wrong: You Have a Right to WiFi. Period.
- Is Your Comcast Public Hotspot Costing You Real Money?
- Is There A Hidden Cost To Your New Xfinity Router?
- (No) Surprise! AT&T is Tracking You Too!
- How to Prevent Verizon from Tracking You
- How Cisco Rescued Connectify from a Nasty Dispute
- Thank You, Cisco
- Why I Love Internet.org
- It’s Not You, Adware, It’s Me
- Using Data to Determine If Domain Extensions Matter
- Alex Discovers Why the Kindle Randomly Restarts
- Taking Google QUIC for a Test Drive
- More Speed, Please: 17.6 Tbps Internet Connections
Interviews & Notable Mentions
- Washington Post: Amtrak and Megabus tout free WiFi. So why is service patchy — or nonexistent?
- The Wall Street Journal: The Sticky Wi-Fi Problem: Why Your Phone Hangs Up on You
- WIRED (Italy)
- HuffPost Tech: How Can We Future-proof Our Smart Homes?
- Entrepreneur Magazine
- The Mac Observer
- Ars Technica
- Bloomberg News
- Tom’s IT PRO
- The Nerd Apocalypse Podcast
- Technically Philly